A barber shop owner has been in the neighborhood for years. He gave a great haircut at a fair price, and had a loyal following. One day, a new barber shop opens up across the street, and posts a big sign: “$6 Haircuts!”
Was the shop owner angry (probably). But then he realized, people care about price, but what they really want is value, and a great experience. That is what keeps them coming and recommending friends. So he posts a sign in his window: “We fix $6 Haircuts!” Bam! You want to compete on price? Go ahead.
Is martial arts expensive? It is a question you may be wondering. Price is one of the most important factors in determining if a purchase is possible or wise to make. Whenever I am asked about price, I answer the question directly, as any person selling something should do. Then, the right thing to do is to assign the value to that price. Then, the buyer can make an informed decision.
“Expensive” is a relative term. Is $33,000 expensive for a car? It depends. If it is a 2019 Cadillac XT4, it is a decent price. A lot of money. Yes! Expensive? Not really.
So when asked, is martial arts expensive, I say, “No. But that does not mean it is affordable for everyone. The value that we or any good school provides should be worth what they charge and MORE. The tangibles (how many classes per week) and intangibles (The instructors understand my needs) all need to add up. Then, the price should be comparable to similar programs once all aspects are taken into consideration.
For example, at United Sports Tae Kwon Do, we are based in Downingtown, and serve Thorndale, Coatesville, West Chester, Exton, and the surrounding Brandywine Valley. Our tuition includes:
- Unlimited attendance and class options 5 or 6 days a week.
- Instructors certified by USA Taekwondo, the National Governing Body of the US Olympic Committee
- A curriculum that is recognized worldwide, so that your belt will be recognized anywhere, for life.
- Instructors with a comfort level and experience in working with all ages and abilities.
- Affiliation with Team MOST, an elite sparring team, for those who like to compete.
- A member app that allows students to review videos and study guides from their phones and tablets
- A family-style environment where everyone feels welcome from Day 1
- A trial program that allows everyone to try the program for 3 classes or 3 weeks, before joining the school
- Membership options for 7 or 12 months
- Traditional martial arts training. No hype. No promise of being an MMA star. Simply a focus on 5 tenets: Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control, Indomitable Spirit
In sum, we help students to be in the best shape of their lives in mind and body. We build focus, self-control and confidence. Our tuition starts at about $147 a month. Is that expensive? Affordability is in the eye of the customer. Some schools charge less. Some charge much more. I will say that our martial arts program is a tremendously powerful investment in the life anyone looking to excel in these areas. Shop around. Ask questions and see how different programs stack up for the money. We look forward to seeing you in the dojang!